C tips (again)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri May 1 10:41:19 PDT 2009

superdan:
>experience is nuttin'. it's what u learn from it.<

This is generally right, exercising yourself a lot isn't enough, because you have to do it in a smart way, for example trying things a bit more difficult than the things you already know, etc.
But experience can also be positive: regarding the ctips the experience of author allows him to follow rigorous and complex idioms in a very tidy way.

>u havent been around much, that's the prob.<

I know the February 2002 edition of Hacker's Delight. It mostly explains numerical/bitwise things, like:
- Power-of-2 boundaries and bounds checking
- Rearranging bits and bytes
- Integer division and division by constants
- Some elementary functions on integers
- Gray code
- Hilbert's space-filling curve

More or less none of those things are present in the ctips.

Bye,
bearophile