RFC: naming for FrontTransversal and Transversal ranges

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:14:54 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter:
>> Much more often the discussion on the numpy list takes the form of
>> "how do I make this loop faster" becuase loops are slow in Python so
>> you have to come up with clever transformations to turn your loop into
>> array ops.  This is thankfully a problem that D array libs do not
>> have.  If you think of it as a loop, go ahead and implement it as a
>> loop.
>
> Sigh! Already today, and even more tomorrow, this is often false for D too. In my computer I have a cheap GPU that is sleeping while my D code runs. Even my other core sleeps. And I am using one core at 32 bits only.
> You will need ways to data-parallelize and other forms of parallel processing. So maybe nornmal loops will not cuti it.

Yeh.  If you want to use multiple cores you've got a whole 'nother can
o worms.  But at least I find that today most apps seem get by just
fine using a single core.  Strange though, aren't you the guy always
telling us how being able to express your algorithm clearly is often
more important than raw performance?

--bb