RFC: naming for FrontTransversal and Transversal ranges

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat May 2 14:45:16 PDT 2009

Robert Jacques wrote:
> On Sat, 02 May 2009 10:18:41 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu
>>>  I said "assignments like a = b are rare" and you put one of those in
>>> your example.
>>
>> You said it and I don't buy it one femtosecond. Code does need to copy
>> values around. It's a fundamental operation!
>
> Andrei, he said that explicit assignments/copies of arrays/containers
> are rare in numeric computing, which I agree with. Just because it's a
> fundamental operation doesn't mean it gets used much is his (or I guess
> Numply's actually) specific applications. Also,
> disregarding/disbelieving a use case is not helpful to this discussion.

He said something. That's about as much proof as was seen. I didn't buy
it so I replied without assuming the same as him. Then he repeated "but
I said that!" which upped the ante from supposition to presupposition. I
think presuppositions are particularly pernicious so I felt the need to
explicitly say that I don't believe it just because he said it. It's not
a use case. It's just something that was said. If some sort of evidence
is given, that would be great. Don't put the onus on me to disprove what
was said.

>>> Yes, when you have an a=b anywhere you've got to pay attention and
>>> make sure you didn't mean a=b.dup.
>>
>> That is terrible. Anywhere == a portion of the code far, far away.
>
> No, he was talking about a local decision. i.e. Did I or didn't I mean
> to make a logical copy here?

The local decision has effects that may go undetected until much later.

Andrei