I wish I could use D for everything

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.org
Tue May 5 01:48:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Robert Fraser
<fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:
> bearophile wrote:
>>
>> But today most people use languages like Java, Python, C#, that often
>> shorten developing time even more than D1.
>> D1 is almost a system language, so it's not easy to compete with the
>> productivity of application languages designed to put the programmer first
>> and the CPU second.
>
> Eh.... I'm working on my current project in D because I find development
> faster than Java/C# and prefer statically typed languages for big projects.

The primary thing that is holding me from using D more is the lack of
up-to-date x86_64 D2 compiler. We often work with large data sets, so
a virtual address space of 4GB is too small.

Other than that it seems very useful for many NLP tasks: nearly as
fast as C++, but much quicker to write.

Take care,
Daniel