Massive loss for D on Tiobe

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed May 6 13:24:59 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> D's loss seems unbelievable. D now has a 0.628% share, which is even
> less than what it's lost (-0.82%) in the last 12 months. What could be
> the reasons for it? Is it even possible to figure out any reason??

Of course it's unbelievable. This change didn't happen over a year's
time, it happened in one month. This means that the methodology Tiobe
uses changed, or the search portals changed their hit count algorithm.

Notice
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm
where they automatically discount all D hits by 10%. They don't do that
for C.

For example, of the first 100 hits of "D programming" on google, I found
only 6 that were not about D, two of which was already excluded by
Tiobe's algorithm. That's 4%, not 10%.

I found 3 non-C ones for "C programming" in the first 100. That's 3%,
not 0%.