Massive loss for D on Tiobe

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu May 7 08:28:53 PDT 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On the surface, it seems that the Tiobe figures a very "rubbery", if not
> outright dishonest.

I sent an email to Tiobe, and received a nice reply from Paul Jansen,
who runs the index. He showed me his numbers, and the biggest factor in
the drop in D's ranking was a large drop in hits from Yahoo's engine.
Why that would be neither of us knows. He agreed that the 90%
"adjustment" factor needed to be revisited.

Anyhow, I don't believe there is anything dishonest going on. It's just
the erratic nature of what search engines report as the "number of
hits". Google's varies wildly all over the place. Who knows what is
going on at Yahoo.