Write/Writeln, etc

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 05:33:47 PDT 2009

On Fri, 08 May 2009 08:28:28 -0400, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 May 2009 16:02:52 -0400, Jarrett Billingsley
>> <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Funny, I just ran into that today too.  If you add braces, for some
>>> reason it works.

>>> Once again: 'much' and 'too much' can never.
>>>
>>> modify.
>>>
>>> adjectives.
>>>
>>> They are not adverbs.
>>  Much.
>>  can be.
>>  an adverb.
>>  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/much%5B2%5D
>>  Besides, who really cares if people use incorrect grammar?  We aren't
>> turning in essay papers here.
>>  Bearophile, what you meant to say was "isn't much nicer".
>
> Or "isn't very nice".
>
> (At least, if looking at bearophile's regular use of that phrase. Could
> it be that "very" and "much" are the same word in Italian?)
>
> Not that I care, English isn't my first language, either. ;-)

could be, I didn't read the whole context.

If you were comparing something to something else, then "isn't much nicer"
makes sense, but if you are not comparing two things, then "isn't very
nice" makes more sense.

"isn't much nice" seems like it should make sense from a purely
grammatical point of view, but it sounds weird to me :)  I don't know why
it's bad, but it is.

-Steve