What's the current state of D?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri May 8 11:49:58 PDT 2009

grauzone wrote:
> But C++ programs still compile and run correctly with C++0x compilers.

True enough, but that wasn't true for C++98, or C89. Nobody refused to
use C or C++ because of that.

> I bet none of the projects on dsource are even compilable with dmd2 (even
> if they were written for D2.0).

Take any C++ project from 15 years ago and I bet it won't compile today,
either.

> And _many_ projects probably need minor
> fixes, before they compile with the latest dmd1 compiler.

Nearly all of those are due to inadvertent reliance on bugs in D1. You
see this quite a bit in the C++ world. Every time g++ gets updated, I
have to tweak something in my sources.

Every binary release of dmd is available for download. If you require an
unchanging compiler, it's trivial to operate that way. dmd isn't going
to auto-update itself and break your compiles.