What's the current state of D?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri May 8 12:14:31 PDT 2009

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound1 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> grauzone wrote:
>
> > And _many_ projects probably need minor
> > fixes, before they compile with the latest dmd1 compiler.
> Nearly all of those are due to inadvertent reliance on bugs in D1. You
> see this quite a bit in the C++ world. Every time g++ gets updated, I
> have to tweak something in my sources.

And this is often unavoidable.  Look at all the workarounds in Boost
code for various versions of the MS compiler, for example (particularly
VC6 vs. later versions).  I can't think of how much code I've written in
C++ that used preprocessor switches to vary implementation between
compiler versions, even though they all claimed to support C++98.
Fortunately, a little experience with the quirks of each compiler makes
transitioning code fairly mechanical in most cases.