What's the current state of D?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Fri May 8 12:46:31 PDT 2009

dsimcha wrote:
> Exactly my feelings, but I'll add that the time to make huge, sweeping changes
> like the ones we're seeing now is before the language becomes mainstream.  Once
> the language has a large base of crufty production code that nobody still
> understands and can fix quickly and easily when the language changes, it becomes
> much harder to make these kinds of changes.

Yes.

The next D2 update will have one such change, which has been planned for
maybe the past year. All static and global variables will default to
being thread local (instead of being implicitly shared). Doing this is
disruptive, but is critical to credibly supporting multithreaded
programming.

In testing this out, I've uncovered at least a dozen implicit sharing
bugs in Phobos. I think this change will have a big payoff for
multithreaded code.