SCHEDULED for deprecation

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:33:01 PDT 2009

On Thu, 07 May 2009 12:57:36 -0400, Tomasz Sowiński wrote:

> This phrase gave me an idea for a small feat:
>
> deprecated(2009-4-19) void foo();
>
> Compiling references to the deprecated declaration *before* the
> deprecation date would result in a *warning*. Compiling the deprecated
> declaration OR any reference to it *after* the date would result in an
> *error*.
>
> Advantages for maintanance are obvious, plus, the feature seems easy to
> implement. What do you think?
>
> Tomek

You should deprecate on the release it is deprecated and not before.
However, providing a version for which the function would be removed
entirely... And stating the alternative might also be nice.

Though these things could be placed in proper documentation, it is nice
to have them readily available when you are told it is deprecated.