What's the current state of D?

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Sat May 9 06:00:08 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> [...]
> >> that it had 'got there'.
> >>
> >> But to come back after 2 years and find the same stuff still going on
> >> is depressing - been there done that. OK, it didn't put me off, I'm
> >> still in there, but it bothers me. I'd be dishonest if I said otherwise.
> >>
> >> I am not criticizing you. I think you are doing a great job under the
> >> pressure of a slew of suggestions. But maybe a line in the sand at
> >> some point?
> >>
> >> OK so for those who crave stability there is D1.x, but when all the
> >> focus appears to be on D2, what level of confidence is afforded to D1
> >> users. Can a project Manager cross his heart and say that D1 will
> >> still be alive and well in five years time?
> >>

> > This is quite interesting! Before there was D1, I can remember the same
> > requests being submitted over and over again. Tool developers complained
> > that they could not use D for anything serious because of its constant
> > state of flux. They continuously requested that a line be drawn. Shortly
> > after that line was drawn in January 2007, a good majority of the
> > community complained that it wasn't exactly what they asked for and a
> > majority of the most active members of the community disappeared into
> > thin air.
> >
> > The sad thing is, even after D1 became stable following a number of bug
> > fixes, very few people used it for much of anything. Those "advocates of
> > stability" all disappeared; abandoning their tools/projects in the process.
> >
> > The same thing is beginning again and it seems to me that instead of
> > something that is actually useful, people a waiting for MicroMoney or
> > some other name brand begins to invest in their own D compiler. As far
> > as I see it, there will come a time when D language will soar above all
> > the rest (not only in capability, which it already does, but also
> > commercial usage), I will continue to support it until then and well
> > beyond and I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one. For all the
> > Naysayers out there... Keep saying nay and go the hell away. D2 is just
> > where it is supposed to be. Let’s not end up in the same mess we did by
> > trying to make impatient people happy and releasing D1.
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Very well and heartfelt put.
>
> D needs many things, but probably above all it needs the dedication of
> bright people.
>
> I've had a great time at BoostCon, and enjoyed many interesting
> conversations with as many bright people. Beman Dawes, the originator of
> Boost and an extraordinary gentleman, gave me a little history of Boost.
> Essentially Boost has been toiling in anonymity until Dave Abrahams came
> about. Dave is a design, coding, and organizational powerhouse all in
> one. He not only contributed a great deal of design and code to Boost,
> but also managed organizational and logistics aspects, in addition to
> exercising the charisma necessary for attracting other extraordinarily
> qualified people to dedicate their prime to Boost.

That's a rather rare find. Typically, that would require the contribution of many individuals to achieve the same effect. Even if you only consider the time required to do all that, it can be a tall order!

> And it has snowballed
> ever since. It was amazing just being at Boostcon to see how much
> expertise punch those people packed.
>
> We are lacking such a powerhouse for D. Walter is a great lone wolf kind
> of coder, but not a team organizer and charismatic leader. Things have
> been changed to the better since he has made Phobos accessible on
> dsource.org and since he released the source of the compiler.
> Integration with druntime was another great step forward (thanks Sean!)
> Soon we may convince Walter to put the entire dmd source on dsource.org,
> which would improve things even more.

I've been hoping for that! I tried to create a thread about that a while back, but it passed silently into oblivion.

> But the role of "Dave" for D is
> still up for grabs.
>
> Of course it's not that easy to find that, but in the meantime there's a
> lot of good things to be done. If you do something great, sooner or
> later it will be picked up. The perfect example is Don, who became a
> prominent contributor solely through the sheer quality and quantity of
> his work. (There are many others that come to mind, but please allow me
> to stay with one because as soon as I mention more than one, I'd feel
> I'm unjust to others that I might even forget for the moment.)
>
> So what I think D really needs is your heart and soul :o). Let me
> (re)try to make a step in that direction by reopening the Phobos czar
> position. Gregor Richards has held that position for a while but hasn't
> done anything with it. (I'm not saying this with reproach; Gregor has
> been busy with school and if I don't know what that means...) I can
> hardly imagine what someone like Dave could do with that role. So if
> anyone is interested, speak up!

Like many, I can't become a/the czar, but will slowly contribute from the sidelines. I submitted a weak reference library for druntime and am now working on a high throughput lockless hashmap.