What's the current state of D?

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Sun May 10 09:23:15 PDT 2009

Walter Bright, el  9 de mayo a las 22:05 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Official? I don't see any official support for D in GDB. I can only find
> >this patches:
> >http://www.dsource.org/projects/gdb-patches/
>
> Dwarf has an official value for the language, DW_LANG_D = 0x13.

I'm talking about GDB. GDB has no official D support. There was a thread
in the NG asking for possible copyright issues to include the GDB patch
upstream, and it had no answer for example. I don't think you *have* to
answer that mail, but I think helping this kind of things happening
instead of ignoring them is good for D promotion too =)

> >How is that? Most runtime code is not used by the user directly. And for
> >this item I think not merging it does more damage than introducing
> >a breaking change (is much better to introduce a breaking change to solve
> >this problem than to add a predefined Posix version ;).
>
> Tango chose to use a number of incompatible names and a fundamentally
> different class hierarchy for the same thing(s).

How many people is using that? How bad would it be to call the next
version of DMD that include the Tango/Druntime runtime D 1.100 or
something (is really hard to pick right version numbers under the version
scheme you use[*]) to make clear there is compatibility break in that
version?

Seriously, there were several (silly) compatibility breaks since 1.0 was
out, I think is a huge issue that deserves it...

[*] I really wonder how would you call D2 when it's stable. You will just
    say D 2.134 is D2 final/stable? I think this is another problem with
    D, version naming is really confusing and lame. You can't know
    anything from a D version number. And DMD compiler and D specs are too
    much coupled. It would be nice to have separate version numbers if you
    really want to encourage some kind of D standard and compiler vendors
    to start making D compilers.