What's the current state of D?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun May 10 16:08:52 PDT 2009

Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> I reported the bug because I think that could be the case. If is not, it's
> a Gold bug and it should be reported. If it is, it should be fixed in DMD.
> I don't have the knowlegde to check that myself, and that's why I reported
> the bug to both tools.
>
>> In other words, it's not at all surprising to me that the bug report
>> hasn't received a lot of attention yet.
>
> So you are saying you have to be a compiler hacker to report a bug? Great,
> that make sense!

You seem to have missed my point.  The point was, the more detailed the report,
the clearer the steps to reproduce, the more obvious it is that the compiler is
what's broken.. all of these things increase the likelihood of a bug report
having a higher priority.

The incoming rate is higher than the fix rate (as evidenced by the number of
open bugs) and so something has to give.  All I was doing was illustrating some
reasons that might have contributed to that specific report not having been
fixed yet.

Do I encourage filing bugs without the level of detail I suggest help get bugs
fixed fast?  Absolutely.  An un-filed bug is an un-fixed bug.

Take these points as ways to help make sure your important issues can be
addressed quickly and easily.

Later,
Brad