When will D1 be finished?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 06:30:58 PDT 2009

All this D2 work seems to have detracted from the task of finishing off D1.

There are 15 issues nominated as d1.0blocker, of which 7* are still
outstanding, including two trackers having 39 dependencies between them.

* Well, 8 if you include 691, fixed only for D2.

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?field0-0-0=flagtypes.name&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=d1.0blocker

While none of these nominations were ever answered, I think most would
agree that being finished means, at the least:

(a) having a spec that the public agrees to be complete and consistent
(b) all language features implemented
(c) all of the most serious known bugs and most of the others fixed

677 and 690 are shortcomings in department (a). (OK, 690 seems to be
almost fixed now, but I'm not sure.)  302 is a failure under (b).  While
it's otherwise hard to lay hands on anything particular as why (c) is
yet to be achieved, that just over 2/3 of 340's dependencies are still
open at least says something.

This leaves 317 and 342, which are filed as enhancement requests, but
which people felt important enough that they ought to be in the initial
D1 distribution.  342 is straightforward and, while 317 is a much bigger
task, at least it has progressed (albeit slowly).

But generally, it's about time D1 got a move on....

I'm made to wonder whether, if 1.0 had been held back until it could be
a practical rather than just symbolic milestone, it would be at both by now.

I've just thought, given this brief inconclusive discussion
http://tinyurl.com/qayz9w
...when we reach this practical milestone, maybe we could call it D 1.1?

Stewart.