When will D1 be finished?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 07:51:55 PDT 2009

== Quote from Ary Borenszweig (ary at esperanto.org.ar)'s article

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?field0-0-0=flagtypes.name&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=d1.0blocker

> > While none of these nominations were ever answered, I think most would
> > agree that being finished means, at the least:
> >
> > (a) having a spec that the public agrees to be complete and consistent
> > (b) all language features implemented
> > (c) all of the most serious known bugs and most of the others fixed
> >
> > 677 and 690 are shortcomings in department (a). (OK, 690 seems to be
> > almost fixed now, but I'm not sure.)  302 is a failure under (b).  While
> > it's otherwise hard to lay hands on anything particular as why (c) is
> > yet to be achieved, that just over 2/3 of 340's dependencies are still
> > open at least says something.
> >
> > This leaves 317 and 342, which are filed as enhancement requests, but
> > which people felt important enough that they ought to be in the initial
> > D1 distribution.  342 is straightforward and, while 317 is a much bigger
> > task, at least it has progressed (albeit slowly).
> >
> > But generally, it's about time D1 got a move on....
> >

> > I'm made to wonder whether, if 1.0 had been held back until it could be
> > a practical rather than just symbolic milestone, it would be at both by
> > now.
> >
> > I've just thought, given this brief inconclusive discussion
> > http://tinyurl.com/qayz9w
> > ...when we reach this practical milestone, maybe we could call it D 1.1?
> >
> > Stewart.
> I think the major problem with this is that D2 has the same codebase as
> D1, so D2 will inherit most of it's bug, like forward references.
> Anyone wants to start an open source project to make a new front-end for
> D1? :)

This one is interesting and looks reasonably active:: http://code.google.com/p/dil/

It's a D1 front end written in D, and looks reasonably active.  It also solves
another problem:  Although it's not a particularly urgent thing, eventually D
compilers should be written in D.  First, it would be one less things for skeptics
to complain about.

Secondly, I'm not sure if anyone else shares this experience, but I hack Phobos
all the time, but don't touch DMD.  Part of the reason is that DMD is in C++,
which I don't know nearly as well as D and find much less pleasant to work with.
If DMD were written in D I'd be more inclined to hack around with it.  Of course,
the other reason is because, with DMD you have to be familiar with large portions
of the codebase to do simple things, whereas in Phobos, you just need to know
about the part you want to mess with.