What's the current state of D?

Ameer Armaly ameer.armaly at furman.edu
Mon May 11 12:08:48 PDT 2009

"Leandro Lucarella" <llucax at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:20090509161148.GA23213 at homero.springfield.home...
> The Tango vs. Phobos is still a *BIG* issue for D1. I think don't
> addressing that is a huge error. It's only hurting D1 and preventing its
> adoption.

Yes. This is the showstopper for me and what caused me to quietly walk away
from D to begin with. In my opinion the fact that having two runtimes is not
only tolerable but acceptable as normal has and will continue to hurt D1. We
have Phobos, the "official" runtime and then we have Tango, the "community"
runtime. Moreover having two runtimes casts doubt on the state of D as a
whole; if we can't even decide on a uniform runtime then people will wonder
what other unknown traps of incompleteness are in store. The fact that
nobody bothered to work all this out makes perfect sense- it's a lot more
fun to be hashing out new features- but if we intend to gain some semblance
of mainstream respect then it will be much easier with a single robust
runtime.

Ameer