When will D1 be finished?

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Mon May 11 15:09:13 PDT 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 14:43:58 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Georg Wrede wrote:
>> That day, there will not be a single person on Earth who knows such
>> changes. Just like when we started on D2, nobody could have had any
>> notion of how D2 looks today. And we still have an unpredictable amount
>> of changes ahead of us in D2. For example, who can predict if Andrei or
>> somebody else writes a post here that turns half of D2 on its head, and
>> then we postpone everything to get that done. It's happened before, you
>> know.
>
> I don't know of any language revision project that wound up where they
> said they were going at the outset.

LOL,  I can attest to that!

The road trip that has been the next version of Euphoria has taken a few
sudden and unexpected turns, plus a couple of dead-ends. Even now as we are
about to release the first beta edition, we are finding that certain
aspects might need a total redesign - yuck. Thankfully, releasing a series
of alpha editions has enabled the user community to generate great feedback
that has guided the road trip (including telling us that we went the wrong
way occasionally).

D1 is not complete. That has nothing to do with the bugs it still contains.
It is not complete because there is documented functionality for which no
implementation has yet been attempted. This assumes that the documentation
is complete and accurate.

The D-Team should be dedicating resources to ensuring that the D1
implementation and D1 documentation are in alignment with each other. By
dedicating, I mean that is all that this D1-subteam of the D-Team work on -
no D2 work at all. Any D1 fixes that need to be propagated to D2 should be
done by the D2-subteam. Priority should be given to getting D1 completed.

Getting D1 stable can be a focus once D1 is complete.

Unless of course, D1 is just a prototype for D2 and will thus be discarded
the instant that D2 is released.

What are the support plans for D1 after D2 is released? (I consider current
D2 releases as beta editions at best).

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia