When will D1 be finished?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Mon May 11 16:48:33 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> I also fail to understand this perception that D1 is abandoned. Every
> month an update is released for it that fixes a load of problems. D1 has
> led the way in ports to other platforms.

Because this news group's name is not D2. Folks come here, and see no
mention of D1 for weeks. (Other than people whining about "no support,
D1 abandoned", etc.) All they see is (to a D newcomer, anyway)
incomprehensible ruminations on esoterics. But they believe this is /the
thing/, since nobody warned them that this is (in reality) a future
versions newsgroup.

 From a (go ahead, call it "shrewd" and "marketing liar", I won't mind)
perspective, _the_ newsgroup should be called D and it should contain D1
discussions. And then there should be a less conspicuous NG called
"future releases discussions", which would be D2.

This change looks too trivial to make a difference, but that's exactly
why I have to bring it up. (Why do you think M$ pays mega$ for some
consultancy to invent a name for the next Windows version? It's the
subconscious things in customers' brains they f**k with. And they're
doing a good job at it.) Old D guys are too used to the current naming
to appreciate the difference.

> What isn't being done with D1 is adding a boatload of new features -
> because that would destroy any pretense of it being a stable release.

That's as it should be (given our limited resources).