When will D1 be finished?

Graham St Jack Graham.StJack at internode.on.net
Mon May 11 17:18:18 PDT 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 12:11:53 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Luís Marques wrote:
>> When D1 was declared finished I thought it meant it would progress to a
>> stable state, with nearly all non-minor problems fixed and a large set
>> of companion libraries. I'm afraid I don't see that happening at an
>> animating rate.
>
> D1 regularly gets around 20 bug fixes a month. I don't understand why
> this is not seen as progress to a stable state. About 80% of bug fixes
> are common to both D2 and D1.

I agree that D1 is getting its fair share of attention, and I support the
earlier post that suggested getting in there and making contributions
yourself if you don't like the rate of progress in your personal area of
interest.

D (especially D2 ;-) ) is far and away the best language I have ever
worked with already, and I think the team needs to be congratulated for
its efforts. I'm embarrassed that I can't contribute more because of
other commitments, but when I do, it is done as constructively as
possible.