What's the current state of D?

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon May 11 20:43:09 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Ameer Armaly wrote:
>> I see. What about the actual "standard library bits" for common tasks
>> like file I/O, strings, date and time, filesystem manipulation, etc.
>> My main gripe is having two regularly accepted libraries that do the
>> same extremely common functions; it makes us look unpolished,
>> especially when there is the "community" versus "official" difference
>> I mentioned earlier. Why not just merge the two libraries into the one
>> D standard library and be done with it?
>
> That's being done for D2. It is not for D1, as that would break
> everyone's code.

Well, one runtime library.  Anything beyond that isn't at all clear, is it?

There's some rather fundamental design differences -- neither right nor wrong --
between Phobos and Tango.  I don't see those converging at this point.

Regardless, able to sit side by side is still a big step forward.

Later,
Brad