When will D1 be finished?

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Tue May 12 07:04:00 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 11 de mayo a las 17:27 me escribiste:
> Walter Bright wrote:
> >Georg Wrede wrote:
> >> From a (go ahead, call it "shrewd" and "marketing liar", I won't mind)
> >>perspective, _the_ newsgroup should be called D and it should contain D1
> >>discussions. And then there should be a less conspicuous NG called "future
> >>releases discussions", which would be D2.
> >Sounds like a good idea.
>
> I'm all for it. My guess, however, is that this is another case of couch
> quarterbacking that's unlikely to effect a touchdown. Today, the majority of
> discussions on digitalmars.d is about D2 because - surprise! - the stuff that
> people are interested in debating has mostly to do with D2. You can't tell

This is because D1 is frozen. If there would be a D1.1, D1.2, etc. series,
my guess is people would be interested in debating about it. But there is
not much to debate about D1 right now, unfortunately.

> people what they should be talking about. People vote with their pens. If a
> separate newsgroup is created for digitalmars.d.next, then that won't
> automatically increase the quantity and quality of D1-related traffic on
> digitalmars.d. Then the archetypal noob tunes to digitalmars.d, sees a
> tumbleweed rolling by, and moves on.

A D1 NG will be a bug-reporting NG by definition because right now D1 is
not allowed to evolve. But I think it could be of help for people to
better understand that D2 is in development. Adding a more visible
indication that D2 is in development in the website would be helpful too
(right now the only place I see something about it is in the download
page, where it says D2 is alpha, but I you go to the homepage and jump
into the documentation, you never get a hint that D2 is experimental).