When will D1 be finished?

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Tue May 12 10:03:16 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Luís Marques wrote:
>> Two years ago, I tried to use a particular construct and DMD
>> incorrectly detected that a statement was not reachable [1]. OK, D1
>> had been frozen earlier that year, so I thought it would be only a
>> matter of time until the higher priority stuff had been taken care of
>> and someone took care of this issue. That's my experience with stable
>> languages, even if they aren't particularly mainstream (say, Lua).
>
> That would be true if the bug list for D1 was shrinking. But it is not,
> it is growing. A bug's age does not indicate its importance to be fixed.
>
> (The growing number of bugs reflects the increasing usage of D, not that
> it is going unstable. The number of regressions is very small.)

The number of releases for which a bug went unreported is indicative of
how seldom it is encountered.

However, if a patch exists, there is only one excuse for not including
it: lack of testing. And there is one huge reason that nobody submits
additional test cases to your DMD test suite -- you've never released
it, or even specified the required format.