project oriented

BCS none at anon.com
Tue May 12 14:12:51 PDT 2009

Hello davidl,

> The module package system still stays in the state of the C age. It's
> file  oriented. I think there's no more sound package system than C#
> one. The  namespace and distributed packaging is a must nowadays and
> the compiler  should be project oriented and take project information
> as the compiling  base. Also an IDE is quite useful for providing
> project templates.

The up side to file based packaging is that the compiler can find the files
without needing extra information. There are several tools that can build
a project from nothing but a set of .d files. With the c# type of system,
the compiler/build system needs to have a metadata file that list all the
.d files to be built adding yet another piece of redundant complexity.

The c# solution works well if you will *only* develop from the IDE but is
a total pain as soon as you need to work with non-language aware tools.