When will D1 be finished?

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:03:56 PDT 2009

Walter Bright Wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> > I know.  How many months has bug 314* had the most votes?  And 313
> > while we're at it.  Importing has been broken for years and instead D2
> > is getting thread-local variables.  It seems like a gross misdirection
> > of effort.
>
> 314 does not affect correct code, hence is an implicitly less important
> issue.
>
> The order of importance of bugs is roughly:
>
> 1. silently generating bad code
> 2. compiler crashes
> 3. regressions that break previously working code
> 4. not accepting valid code
> 5. accepting invalid code
> 6. poor error messages

IMHO opponion, these should exactly match the severity categories in bugzilla.

> Throw into that how much work a bug is to fix, how many projects it
> affects, if there's a patch submitted, etc.

If open bugs were marked with a difficulty level, that may reduce the barrier to entry for would-be hackers of the dmd source.

I've been thinking lately that D needs a "help wanted" page that lists broad categories for contribution and instructions on getting started. The list posted in the promoting D thread seemed like a great start.

I've also wondered a bit about the impression people have of Walter ignoring the things most important to them. Obviously, everyone can't talk to Walter directly. I wonder if it would be possible to have official delegates on specific aspects of D... People hand picked by Walter as expert proxies. For example, changes to std.algorithm (and all of Phobos?)  should go through Andrei. I have not tried to come up with a list of categories. Having an exhaustive set of D-related concerns ans officisl proxies would help focus discussion/efforts. It also gives a way for a the most important concerns to be raised to Walter directly through back channels such as coffee shop discussions , phone calls, e-mail etc.