When will D1 be finished?

Brad Roberts braddr at bellevue.puremagic.com
Tue May 12 17:37:51 PDT 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009, dsimcha wrote:

> One thing I would add to prioritizing bug fixes is how many other bugs the feature
> has.  Features that are severely buggy, such as array ops or alias this benefit
> relatively little from having a single bug fixed because anyone using those
> features still has to constantly remember that they're buggy and keep the
> workarounds in mind anyhow.  Furthermore, bugs often overlap in how they limit
> functionality in real-world use cases.
>
> On the other hand, features that are pretty well debugged, but still have a few
> little gotchas, like variadic templates and auto return (See bug 2251 --you can't
> use both at the same time) or ddoc benefit much more from a single bug fix.  Once
> these last few remaining issues are solved, these features can be used as
> "gotcha-free" and the user need not constantly feel like he/she is walking through
> a minefield when using them.

To counter that a little, a few fixes all in one area are a great way to
get a lot of bang for the buck.  Less time spent due to already being in
the right area of the code, and a potentially huge benefit from polishing
a feature into being really usable.

Just shows how seldom there's an obviously right path to choose.

Later,
Brad