When will D1 be finished?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Tue May 12 17:56:45 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> I know.  How many months has bug 314* had the most votes?  And 313
>> while we're at it.  Importing has been broken for years and instead D2
>> is getting thread-local variables.  It seems like a gross misdirection
>> of effort.
>
> 314 does not affect correct code, hence is an implicitly less important
> issue.
>
> The order of importance of bugs is roughly:
>
> 1. silently generating bad code
> 2. compiler crashes
> 3. regressions that break previously working code
> 4. not accepting valid code
> 5. accepting invalid code
> 6. poor error messages
>
> Throw into that how much work a bug is to fix, how many projects it
> affects, if there's a patch submitted, etc.

Out of the blue, this gives a thought:

Suppose you (Walter) encounter a bug report in bugzilla, and decide to
not fix it right now.

It would probably be very informative, and crowd-pacifying, to simply
write two lines of text, describing why you *this time* want to prefer
other things.

Then (like 2months to 3years later), when you stumble upon the same BR,
you might rewrite the "motivation of a not-now fix".

The people who read the items, have an easier time accepting the
omission of a bug fix, if there's a hint of motivation there.

---------------------------

Sorry for asking, but is this somewhere in the path a newbie (or a
semi-newbie who's frustrated) stumbles upon it:

 > The order of importance of bugs is roughly:
 >
 > 1. silently generating bad code
 > 2. compiler crashes
 > 3. regressions that break previously working code
 > 4. not accepting valid code
 > 5. accepting invalid code
 > 6. poor error messages

(I mean, this post instance in this particular newsgroup should not be
the only place where that list is "encounterable".)