D users in Munich, Rome, Venice, or Frankfurt?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:34:31 PDT 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Contrast this to "modern, politically correct American English", where
> one says "she" of the programmer, and "they" of any third person. The
> latter of which is not only semantically + grammatically incorrect, it
> also makes sentences cumbersome, but foremost, diffuses and murks up the
> original intent of the author.

ARRRGHHHH!!! Sorry, you triggered a "pet peeve".

"They" is correct when referring to an unknown (single) person (even if
the gender is known, e.x. "someone left their jockstrap in the locker
room" is more natural to most native speakers than "someone left his
jockstrap in the locker room", although in this case I'd say either is
acceptable).

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?cat=27
It's even in the bible:
http://158.130.17.5/~myl/languagelog/archives/003572.html

It's been suggested that singular they has been in use since 1400
(around the beginning of "modern English"), and likely in old/middle
English as well. It's only been in the last few hundred years when
people started analyzing how people talk and tried to figure out why
people were using "they" in singular contexts. Someone decided to make
it a "rule", and millions of people have been trying to force that
"rule", despite using singular they themselves.