std.partition is fucked

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Wed May 13 09:37:46 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> The performance of std.sort is back to normal - still slower than the
> built-in sort (but not by orders of magnitude), probably because bumping
> ranges is at a disadvantage.

The built-in sort uses an internal stack rather than recursion, which
makes its performance on a best-case dataset hard to beat.  I finally
satisfied myself by having a constant time overhead vs. the built-in
sort for best-case and beat it by polynomial time for worst-case (the
built-in sort doesn't adapt to worst-case datasets very well).