Semantics of shared

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed May 13 22:27:15 PDT 2009

Robert Jacques wrote:
> I don't see a place for "maybe shared" that isn't already handled by
> simply "shared".

I gave a flip and incomplete answer there.

I'm not sure there is even a point to a function that could handle both
shared and unshared with the same code. First of all, sharing is going
to need some sort of synchronization; you're going to try and minimize
the amount of code that has to deal with shared. I can't see trying to
run an in-place sort on a shared array, for example. Can you imagine two
threads trying to sort the same array?

You're going to want to approach manipulating shared data differently
than unshared.