Real Close to the Machine: Floating Point in D

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu May 14 06:51:57 PDT 2009

Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> Don wrote:
>>>
>>> How about adding a template to do a binary chop (binary search?) to
>>> std.algorithm?
>>
>> findRoot() (which needs to be updated to take advantage of compiler
>> improvements) does the job in the most important case. I'm quite proud
>> of it; as far as I know, it's uses a better algorithm than anything
>> else on the planet. <g>
>

> Awesome! I hadn't even noticed the std.numeric module before. :)
>
> Just a small comment: I think that the type of the function parameter
> should be templated as well, so that one can pass both functions,
> delegates and functors to it.
>
> Just now I tried to apply findRoot to an actual problem I'm working on,
> and immediately failed because I tried to pass a free function to it. A
> trivial thing to work around, but annoying nevertheless.
>
> How do you choose/limit what to put in std.numeric? I don't suppose
> you're going to put all of NETLIB in there... ;) Already, it seems to me
> that findRoot is somewhat niche for a standard library.

I agree, right now std.numeric is a repository of whatever Don and I
have been interested in writing, loosely related to "numerics". But, for
example, the string kernels are hardly numeric stuff. (By the way, I
think my implementation of gapWeighted* is really the darn best around.)
I'd say, let it grow for a while and then ways to decompose it will show
themselves.

Andrei