D1 and Phobos Fixes

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:34:35 PDT 2009

Spacen Jasset Wrote:

> Since D1 is stable I wonder why bugs in Phobos1 and/or D can't be ironed
> out quicker by allowing certain members of the D community to commit
> changes to phobos directly.
>
> This goes for the compiler too, but presumably a lot of the the code is
> shared and it isn't so easy.
>
> I presume that all the bug fixes for phobos are incorporated by Walter,
> and wonder if this need by the case. Would it not be useful to have a
> "team" of some sort that can operate on phobos1 directly, and take
> submissions from the wider community.
>
> These fixes of course would be bug fixes only, and perhaps in some cases
> fixes where no behaviour has been defined, but existing behaviour is
> (clearly) wrong or non intentional.

Direct annonymous access can lead to quality control issues. I doubt that'll happen. It's much more reasonable to give write access on a case by case basis.  If you want to make a case for yourself, start by adding quality patches into bugzilla. If they don't get no reaction, you can complain publicly on this newsgroup.

More than just Walter has write access to Phobos. Andrei, Sean, and Don also have access. I'm pretty sure Don and Sean got access after frequent high quality contributions.