Please Vote: Exercises in TDPL?

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Thu May 14 21:12:22 PDT 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:05:04 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> A chunky fragment of TDPL will hit Rough Cuts soon enough. I'm pondering
> whether I should be adding exercises to the book. Some books have them,
> some don't.
>
> Pros: As I'm writing, I've come up with some pretty darn cool exercise
> ideas.

Won't hurt to put those in then :-)

I remember working through some of Knuth's exercises and enjoying the
challenge, even though I failed to solve some of the advanced ones.

I think any exercises you put in should be incidental to the book's
purpose. I mean, that the book should be just as useful with or without
those exercises; they would exist for the curious or adventurous. And in
any case, not only should the solutions be provided, a way to /get/ to the
solutions should also be shown; I can remember seeing some exercises'
solution and thinking "Huh? How did he get that?"

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia