Please Vote: Exercises in TDPL?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu May 14 21:48:19 PDT 2009

"Sean Kelly" <sean at invisibleduck.org> wrote in message
news:guip5e$i9j$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> Cons: I've never been much of a fan of them. Rarely look at them, and
>> never do them. But more than that, I find opening a book and seeing of
>> bunch of "exercises" and "end of chapter quizzes" rather off-putting.
>
> I have a few books I bought largely for reference material where stuff was
> omitted and left as an exercise to the reader (I'm looking at you,
> Sedgewick!)  Regardless of how easy some of these exercises may be for me
> to solve, it isn't something I'm generally in the mood for when I pick up
> the book at work to check something.  However, this isn't a book about
> algorithms so perhaps this isn't an issue really.

Maybe I'm contradicting my own original point here, but I actually did buy a
book once where exercises were actually the entire point of the book (it
does have solutions). It's called "Find The Bug", and has source for a bunch
of functions in various languages, each one with a hidden bug to find
(obviously). Many of them basically point out "gotchas" in the langauges
(IIRC, C, Python, and maybe Java and something else). It sounded kind of
neat, like a "programmer's puzzle book". Although I still haven't actually
gotten around to it though. It's sitting there in my ever-growing pile of
"stuff to read...someday".