Please Vote: Exercises in TDPL?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu May 14 21:58:29 PDT 2009

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:guirn4$mbv$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Brad Roberts" <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.71.1242359810.13405.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>>> BCS wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyway, it's an ugly cycle that's bound to implode eventually.
>>>

>> I wish that were true, but I'm not convinced. My experiences at three
>> different colleges indicate there's a lot of things about college that by
>> all means *should* have imploded long ago. The problem is that college
>> and anything claiming to be "education" has become such a sacred cow in
>> our society that pretty much any amount of bullshit is, and will continue
>> to be, tolerated for the foreseeable future.
>
> When I went to college, most of the "textbooks" were what the prof wrote
> on the chalkboards during lecture. I didn't actually spend much on
> textbooks - few were required, and the rest I picked up used. I still have
> them.

You know, you've consistently been getting me impressed with your school ;)
Caltech was it? I've been to a big public state university, a small
supposedly well-respected private university, and a community college (that
was highly-regarded, at least for a community college). I had many major
issues with all of them (of course, I had major issues with K-12 as well
;) ). But, tech schools, I've never been to one (never got in, and they tend
to be expensive anyway). I wonder if these things are specific to Caltech or
if they tend to be typical of tech schools?

> The current scheme is so blatantly disrespectful of their customers
> (students) I don't see how it can persist.

They're sacred cows. I'm convinced that's how it happens.