Please Vote: Exercises in TDPL?

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Fri May 15 00:55:58 PDT 2009

On Fri, 15 May 2009 04:05:04 +0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> A chunky fragment of TDPL will hit Rough Cuts soon enough. I'm pondering
> whether I should be adding exercises to the book. Some books have them,
> some don't.
>
> Pros: As I'm writing, I've come up with some pretty darn cool exercise
> ideas.
>
> Cons: The book gets larger, takes longer to write, and I never solved
> the exercises in the books I've read, but then I'm just weird.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

When I was first learning C++, I solved all the exercises in the two books I was using (a russian one and then Stroustrup's TC++PL), and they helped alot. But once I learned C++ well enough, I started either skipping or solving them in head.

I believe solving exercises is a great way to learn new language, especially when they requires using some language features that are missing from other languages.

My vote for having them in TDPL.