Please Vote: Exercises in TDPL?

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Fri May 15 10:48:32 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:

> A chunky fragment of TDPL will hit Rough Cuts soon enough. I'm pondering
> whether I should be adding exercises to the book. Some books have them,
> some don't.
>
> Pros: As I'm writing, I've come up with some pretty darn cool exercise
> ideas.
>
> Cons: The book gets larger, takes longer to write, and I never solved
> the exercises in the books I've read, but then I'm just weird.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

Andrei,

Do you have a publisher yet? They will probably give you quite a definitive answer. They usually have quite strong ideas about the market they are aiming for.

If is is to be a university text book, then Yes!

I realize that doing it is a pain in the ass. You have to test every little thing to the limit, which takes forever. But if you do it you will sort out bugs in the book.

Don't envy you, especially given the moving target of D2 ;=)

But the best of luck.

Steve