std.string and std.algorithm: what to do?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri May 15 18:47:51 PDT 2009

Michiel Helvensteijn wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>
>> http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The_Complicator_0x27_s_Gloves.aspx
>
> Heh, that's a funny story. I didn't know that one. (I do think the sensible
> developer was a bit of a killjoy, though.)
>
> But how about coming up with some actual arguments here? What are the
> `gloves' in this situation? Don't say `modules' without explaining how they
> offer the same advantages as tags.
>
> I can imagine a similar discussion having taken place when someone thought
> of higher-level control-flow constructs (you know, `if' and `while'). I
> imagine most people were perfectly happy with goto's and conditional jumps.

I used to work in a software house where half of the projects contained
at least one sub project, of the Glove kind.

The funniest thing is, these folks didn't understand the notion of
Gloves, even when explained about it. (Of course, at the time I didn't
have the word "Gloves", nor Wikipedia or www.c2.com to help me.)