std.string and std.algorithm: what to do?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat May 16 19:46:41 PDT 2009

Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>
>> WinXP doesn't support symbolic links.
>
> This is not true. NTFS 5.0+ (Windows 2000+) has support for symbolic
> links, they're just not readily available to the average user. They
> are known as 'junction points' or 'reparse points'.
>
> There are certain gotchas, and Explorer has no idea how to handle
> them intelligently, but they exist and they work.
>
> More here: http://www.shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284
>
> --
>  Simen

You can't claim it supports them when the shell itself cannot create
them, nor distinguish them from regular folders in any way.  That's like
saying that D supports returning the overflow flag from addition because
it has inline assembler.

Besides which, links in Windows tend to be horribly restrictive and/or
dangerous, often both.  I mean, look under "Deleting Symlinks With
Normal Windows Filesystem Tools Is Not Only Dangerous But Also Bizarre"
in the linked article.

  -- Daniel