Please Vote: Exercises in TDPL?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Sat May 16 22:27:57 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Don wrote:

>>> An awesome way to hit compiler bugs, huh?
>>>
>>> Well sorry, but it's really like that: programming with D is awesome,
>>> until you hit problems like ICEs.
>> I agree that it's a problem, which is why the latest compiler release
>> got rid of 40% of the remaining segfault and ICE bugs (including the
>> three most commonly encountered). You should find a significant
>> improvement now.
>
> That's really awesome, by the way.
>
>> I have patches for many of the remaining bugs. Unfortunately there are 5
>> ICE bugs in bugzilla with no test cases, which means they can't be fixed.
>
> Better than having a crash with OPTLINK with no error message nor
> indication of what the problem is, where the only reproducible test case
> is 2MB worth of object files and which has already cost you four days of
> trying fruitlessly to work around it, still without a solution.
>
> And the code works flawlessly under Linux, but all the users have Windows.

> I hate OPTLINK.  *sobs*
>
>   -- Daniel

Ouch.

Do you think it might be bug 1439? (note that the test case probably
doesn't work any more, since Walter started hashing ultra-long mangled
names, but the point remains that there's a (narrow) range of symbol
lengths which will kill OPTLINK). Or yet another instance of bug 424? Or
is likely to be something else? (IE, is your code template-heavy?)
I can't make bug 2817 crash, and it's the only other plausible optlink
segfault in bugzilla.