SciD (Was: Real Close to the Machine: Floating Point in D )

Sun May 17 03:02:31 PDT 2009

Don wrote:
> Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> I'll have to dig my copy out and see if it's any better.  Really, if
>>> the code can't even legally be used internally for an application
>>> developed by a team of programmers then the book is nearly worthless.
>>

>> I wouldn't go so far as to call it worthless. It may not be a
>> repository of freely usable algorithms, but it is a nice textbook that
>> covers a wide range of topics and methods.
>>
>> A lot of the algorithms in NR are just their versions of classic (and
>> public domain) algorithms found freely available on NETLIB.
>
> Yes, they basically grabbed algorithms from NETLIB and added their own
> bugs to them.

So really, the licence should say:

"Although this book and the bugs in its programs are copyrighted, we
specifically authorize you, the reader of this book, to make one
machine-readable copy of each bug for your own use. [...]"

:)

-Lars