OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Sun May 17 10:29:16 PDT 2009

BCS escribió:
> Hello Georg,
>
>> So, in a way, Microsoft may be right in assuming that (especially when
>> their thinking anyway is that everybody sits at a computer that's
>> totally dedicated to the user's current activity anyhow) preposterous
>> horse power is (or, should be) available at the code editor.
>
> I think that any real programing project now days (regardless of
> language) needs tools to help the programmer. The difference between D
> and C# is that with D you /can/ get away without an IDE and with C# you
> won't get much at all done without one.

I can't agree with this. Most of the time I use an IDE for the
autocompletion, not much for the build-and-jump-to-error stuff. And I
don't see D being easier with regards to remembering what's the name of
that function, which members does a class have, in which module are all
these.

Why do you say that with D you can get away without an IDE and with C#
you can't? I think you can do the same as in C#, don't use an IDE and
get away with pretty much everything, except you'll be slower at it
(same goes for D without an IDE).

Again, this also applies to Java. When I started using Java I used the
command line and an editor with just syntax highlighting, and made
programs of several classes without problem. Refactoring was a PITA, and
I'm thinking it's like that in D nowadays. :-P