OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun May 17 13:39:26 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> IMO, designing the language to support this better work-flow is a good
> decision made by MS, and D should follow it instead of trying to get
> away without an IDE.

Support or enable.. sure.  Require, absolutely not.

I've become convinced that the over-reliance on auto-complete and other IDE
features has lead to a generation of developers that really don't know their
language / environment.  The number of propagated typo's due to first time
mis-typing of name (I see lenght way too often at work) that I wanna ban the use
of auto-complete, but I'd get lynched.

If the applications library space is so vast or random that you can't keep track
of where things are, a tool that helps you type in code is papering over a more
serious problem.

My other problem with IDE's, such as eclipse, is that it's such an all or
nothing investment.  You can't really just use part of it.  You must buy in to
it's editor, it's interface with your SCM, it's scriptures of indentation style,
etc.  Trying to deviate from any of it is such a large pain that it's just not
worth it -- more so as the team working on a project gets larger.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting.

Sigh,
Brad