OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

davidl davidl at nospam.org
Mon May 18 05:37:21 PDT 2009

在 Mon, 18 May 2009 16:01:56 +0800,bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
写道:

> Yigal Chripun:
>
>> first, typos - eclipse has a built-in spell checker so all those
>> "lenght" will be underlined with an orange squiggly line.
>
> A much better solution is to use "size" (or even "len") everywhere in D,
> that avoids such typos in the first place.
> An IDE is useful, but it's better to improve the language first, so
> later you don't use the IDE to write boilerplate or fix typos.
>
> -----------------
>
>> If we ignore this fact D will become another niche academic language
>> that no one uses.<
>
> Unfortunately I think the academy isn't much interested in D. So if D
> doesn't succeed, it will just be a dead language.
> Currently there are only few things that make D better than C#4 (and F#,
> that is different). Note that in C#4 there are ways to generate code on
> the fly, this is done much less often than template programming in D,
> but it's doable.
>

>> second, D needs to update its stone age compilation model copied from
>> C++.<
>
> Yes. Eventually Walter will need to take a look at way people write C#,
> and update D.
> "moons" files that bundle modules, built-in bud-like functionality, DDLs
> and more. Things to think about.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

 From a commercial basis for Walter, it may be easier to glue a C# frontend
against the DMD backend to create a native C# compiler. Waiting D to be a
successful language requires a longer time. And people needs higher cost
to move to D. Reusing current .Net codebase is a very strong selling point.
C# does many correct decisions, better identifier resolve. Its frontend is
considered to be written very high quality. Adding stuff on top of C#
frontend may be an easier approach.
Some people want to compile C# source to native either with the purpose of
closing their source and obtaining higher performance.
C# gets much bigger code base than D code base. Most importantly, you can
not ignore the brilliance of the .Net framework.

--
使用 Opera 革命性的电子邮件客户程序: http://www.opera.com/mail/