OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon May 18 06:49:08 PDT 2009

grauzone wrote:
>> Oh, and how it indents multiline function calls is completely retarded.
>>
>> And every time I try to autocomplete a templated function call, it
>> insists on inserting ALL of the template arguments, even when they're
>> supposed to be derived.
>

> This is why I don't like IDEs. Plus, every time you type something,
> stuff BLINKS around, grabbing your attention, saying I'M SO ANNOYING
> PLEASE DISABLE ME AS A FEATURE. Like documentation tooltips, auto
> completion hints, or "intelligent" indentation. It's ridiculous. When I
> hit a key, I want the text editor insert that key. Not do.... random....
> stuff.
>
> How do Eclipse user deal with it? Not look at the screen when typing?

I do look at the screen because I WANT to use those features. I don't
try to work around them I try to use them instead. If there's a feature
I don't like I disable it, you just have to configure the application in
the way you like it. An application can't be configured from the
beginning to satisfy all peoples needs.