OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 18 07:09:01 PDT 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 12:43:34 +1000, Daniel Keep wrote:
>

>> You realise that in order to be using rebuild, I HAVE to also have DSSS,
>> right?  I'm pretty sure Gregor stopped releasing rebuild-only packages
>> quite some time ago.
>
> Not to trumpet my own horn, but have you considered my build tool called
> 'Bud'? And if you have then what is missing from it that you need?
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/build
>
> Gregor derived DSSS from my project.

Actually, the project that has the big build script is using bud.  I
think bud is supposed to have some sort of transformative feature, but I
just couldn't make it work.  Aside from that, it works just fine, so I
never felt the need to replace it. [1]

The two main reasons I switched to rebuild over bud was -oq and -dc.
Developing with various combinations of stable compilers, unstable
compilers, custom compilers, phobos, tango stable and tango trunk makes
-dc a godsend.

And I'm just a neat freak when it comes to folders, hence my love of -oq :D.

  -- Daniel

[1] This project actually has a private copy of the entire D toolchain
because I'm completely paranoid about breaking it.