OT: on IDEs and code writing on steroids

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 18 07:12:11 PDT 2009

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> P.S.  No, I can't just use make; I'm on Windows.  I really, REALLY don't
>> want to have to deal with that bullshit again.
>
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
>
> My current build script is cobbled together from Perl, Make, and DSSS.
> It sounds ugly, but when I tried it out on Linux (I usually use
> Windows), the entire thing built without a single change.

Mine is Python, bud and a modified version of Knuth's CWEB.  I don't
trust win32 "ports" of GNU tools [1] because there's usually some
horrible incompatibility lurking in the shadows waiting to bite you on
the arse.

  -- Daniel

[1] I exclude Cygwin from this because it's running inside proper bash
with largely proper UNIX semantics.  It's also so fiddly and annoying to
get to that I don't bother any more.  :P