Eliminate the baroque floating-point operators a la !<>=

Don nospam at nospam.com
Mon May 18 08:28:58 PDT 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> Inclusion of the NCEG operators was a bit of tokenism, making a _very_
>> strong statement that D took numerical programmers seriously. But I
>> think D's at the point where it can make that statement without
>> relying on tokenism.
>
> So is it ok to yank them?
>
> Andrei

Yes if and only if we get agreement from Tango that tango2.math can use
std.math.

There's one other minor issue:
isNaN() isn't supposed to trigger on signalling NaNs, but !<>= should
trigger them. I'm not sure that _anyone_ actually cares about this
difference (you can use isSignallingNaN() in the rare case where you
don't want to trigger it), but it would be a difference from IEEE if we
signalled when isNaN() is called, which is what would happen if we
recreated the !<>= operators by merging isNaN with <,>, =.