The Final(ize) Challenge

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon May 18 11:31:48 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu

> I want this too, but first let's become able to do things we can't do and
> then to do things we can do, easier. The __ident thing has been on the table
> for literally years, I seem to recall I called it new alias("blah").

I'm more worried that this will just slip through the cracks and not
make it into D2.  Then it'd be implemented in some post-D2 version of
DMD, and then D3 will be forked, so it'll _kind of_ be part of D2 but
not _really_ since it wasn't part of the spec when it was 'frozen'..
we've been here before :P

It seems like such low-hanging fruit.  So many of my string mixins
only exist to parameterize the names of things that this would almost
completely replace them.  It's on the same level as static foreach -
not essential, but it'd certainly make a lot of metaprogramming
simpler.