"with" should be deprecated with extreme prejudice

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 13:22:08 PDT 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 16:14:29 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Leandro Lucarella" <llucax at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:20090518141908.GB9277 at burns.springfield.home...
>>> bearophile, el 18 de mayo a las 04:33 me escribiste:
>>> They did, but with different semantics =)
>>> It's used for RAII (I guess you already know that, but maybe other
>>> people
>>> don't).
>>>
>>  You mean like C#'s "using"?
>
> What a God awful feature. Honestly, "what were they sinking about?"
> People who explained that C# is cool - please explain this one.

Had to look it up, never used it.

Not sure it's that terrible, it looks to be the equivalent in D of:

{
   scope C = new C();

I suppose it's good in cases where you want to have somewhat manual memory
management.  Does seem poorly named though.

-Steve